The Silk Road Society (UK) – SRS (UK) – is an independent, non-governmental organisation founded to raise awareness in the UK of the regions of Eastern Europe, Central Asia and China through which the ancient Silk Roads traversed.
One of the Society's founders aims to travel along a part of the Silk Roads from Venice to Beijing in March 2006 and will document his adventures to the Society. Academically funded research into the impact of trade passing through this region had on forming civilisation will be carried out. Furthermore contacts with charities and organisations will be made in order for the Society to build links with the region in the hope of making a positive impact in the near future. Since few people have travelled the entire length of the silk road, those that do join a club whose members include, most notably, Marco Polo. The Society has therefore been principally founded to promote further exploration of the region.
Aims of the Society
- The website will act as a forum for the Society's discussions on the Silk Roads from historians, economists, scientists, travellers and photographers.
- The website will seek to build a list of members and contacts worldwide to allow the exchange of information, ideas and news.
- The website will act as a resource for those seeking information on the history of the region. Furthermore, it will endeavour to inspire travellers to undertake similar explorations of the region to the founder’s and will include details pertaining to travelling the area.
- The Society will be open to all members of the public. The Friends of the Silk Road Society (FOSRS) will be subscribed members with full access to the site, contacts, articles and photos. Membership will initially be free.
- The Society hopes to ally itself to other organisations of a similar nature in countries outside the UK and build synergistic partnerships.
- The Society has obtained the sponsorship of Rowan Davis Jewellery Ltd and will seek to obtain further sponsorship to run itself.
- A board of trustees will ensure the correct management of the Society. Initial funding will be through private donations by the trustees and members.
If you would like to get involved with the Silk Road Society (UK) in whatever way, or if you would like to make a donation please
. All donations are gratefully received and will be used to further the Society's expansion and help our sponsored charities. Your help is really appreciated.